Friday, March 21, 2014

So The Adventures Begin...

A year long one that is.
To Japan, a land that's home but at the same time foreign. 
Independence.
You have to learn to walk alone eventually. 

~~~~~~~~~


I've been so animal deprived that I have become a dog stopper: I stop people who are taking their dogs for walks and awkwardly ask if I can pet their dogs. It's always daunting to ask a complete stranger. However, to my surprise, they've always replied with a, "yes". 



The type of dog in these two pictures are called Shiba-ken (Shiba dogs). They are a native Japanese breed which were originally bred to hunt. I have decided I now was one when I can actually have a place to take care of one and such. Apparently there's this boom in Japan to breed small Shiba dogs (like the first picture) because smaller is cuter and also easier to take care of since space is limited in Japan.

~~~~~~~~~

So there was a pretty big earthquake here in Japan last week...

A brutal awakening, I thought I was finally getting to sleep.

Apparently I was wrong: it was 2:07am Japan time.
My phone started making a weird sound like a siren.

I think I may have been more terrified by my phone going off more than anything at first. 

(I didn't realize at that point that my phone has a built in earthquake emergency notification system which goes off even if I have the phone on silent.) Kudos to Japanese technology! 

Since my dad and I live on the 9th floor, it felt more like we were the whipped cream on jelly.

An earthquake experienced after 7+ years.
Quite a terrifying 20 seconds. 
A different welcoming for my arrival in Japan?

I knew earthquakes are inevitable here in Japan, but I also didn't really think about it.

Once you live in Japan, earthquakes become a normal part of life.
However, earthquakes have definitely become an unnatural part of my life in Texas.
I only recall an earthquake happening once in the past few years of college life.

It makes me wonder if I'm the only who wonders when the earthquake that will end it all will strike.

Or maybe I've just watched too many Japanese TV shows about earthquakes. 

~~~~~~~~~

My prolonged fabulous spring break is about to come to a close since school begins for me on April 8th. I had sort of an orientation the other day at Kyushu Sangyo University's (KSU) campus. Concerning Starbucks, I have an oral and practical skills test this coming Monday so prayers would be much appreciated! I will definitely feel a little stupid if I can't pass it since I worked at a Starbucks in the U.S. for two years.

I know this is a short post, but I plan on writing my next post about the yummy foodies I've been eating here in Japan so make sure you have a handkerchief with you to catch your drool...

No comments:

Post a Comment