Saturday, April 19, 2014

How to: Surviving at a Japanese University

The first day of school crept up on me on April 8th.

I had traveled only two train stations away from my house here in Fukuoka. But if you consider how I'm here from ACU, one could say I traveled 6,825 miles to be welcomed by this glorious day.
"Kyusandaimae" (In front of Kyushu Sangyo University) Station

The sign in front of the International Exchange Office

Everything was weird to begin with. I suppose it was because the week started on a Tuesday and every college school year I have begun has started on a Monday.

Here at KSU, all classes are offered once a week for 90min. Language classes (or anything related to learning a language) are only worth 1 credit hour for the first semester with a total of 2 credit hours if taken throughout the entire school year. Other classes are usually worth 2 credit hours with a total of 4 credit hours if taken throughout the entire school year. The first semester is from April 8th to August 6th and the second semester is from Sept.12th to the beginning of February.

Have I mentioned that KSU has a beautiful campus? Here are some pictures :)





My dad makes me proud to be his daughter

His class notes for his American Culture class

Decoration at my dad's office



The view from my dad's office



The entrance to the library, you scan your student ID to get in

Inside the library

Outside of the library

You have to walk a lot...to get anywhere in Japan :P

So much lush greens 

There are a few cafes like this one on campus

I ride a train like this one to and from school everyday

I suppose you could classify the students the same way as a university in the States. Freshman are the ones who think/act like they know what they're doing but in reality, have no idea what the heck they're doing and are scared. I consider myself half like them. The other half of me is probably (well, I like to think I am) acting like my age as a third year student.

I am really fond of the library on campus due to it's abundance of books related to Japanese English or Engrish (the way Japanese speakers pronounce English) and how to translate certain Japanese expressions into English. They also had the "Hobbit", so I had to check it out after watching the first two movies and hearing how great of a read it is. I have a feeling I'll be checking quite a few books out from the library over the course of my one year stay here in Fukuoka.

More than half of the classes I am taking have something or all to do with learning the Chinese language, which is a literal dream come true for me since I love Chinese and the culture. All of my classes have everything to do with my International Studies major focused on East Asia, since they are offered in Japanese and taught from a Japanese prospective. I am also taking an international business course which connects with my Business Administration minor.

At KSU, they take role by having the students scan their student ID cards in front of a scanner before and after class. This concept is so high tech that I find it very cool. However, it is still a little odd since I'm used to having teachers calling my name and then assigning seats to take role.

Here are some shots that capture the gorgeous sunset I can see from the 9th floor of our apartment.



I'm still trying to get the hang of how everything works at KSU and what I'm expected to do as a student. I still can't get over the fact that people literally stare me down when I speak to them in Japanese for the first time, trying to connect the dots between how a foreigner-looking girl can be speaking such great Japanese. I've already had several people ask me, "How long have you been learning Japanese?" I don't think my answer of, "Well...I've spoken it my whole life" helps to ease any confusion. 

Here's to more confusion I will most definitely encounter. "Cheers!" 
#halfieproblems #thirdculturekid #confusionisoutthere

No comments:

Post a Comment